As I mentioned when I made my Malteser Teaser Cupcakes, there are so many chocolate bars being turned into spreads at the moment. So I feel it is only my duty to then turn these spreads into buttercream to top delicious cakes and cupcakes with! This time it's the turn of Galaxy Chocolate Cupcakes. I've infused the sponge with Galaxy hot chocolate powder (which by the way is my favourite hot chocolate powder and you must give it a try as it's so creamy and rich for a powder drink.) Then I've made a buttercream using the Galaxy chocolate spread, and of course the decoration had to be in the form of Galaxy chocolate pieces for the ultimate Galaxy triple treat!
How to make Galaxy Chocolate Cupcakes
For the sponge, mix the butter and sugar together, then whisk in the eggs and milk. Next whisk in the self raising flour, baking powder and Galaxy hot chocolate powder. Divide the batter between 12 cupcakes cases and bake them for 20-25 minutes.
Whilst the cakes are cooling, make the buttercream by mixing the Galaxy chocolate spread with icing sugar, butter and milk. Pipe it onto the cupcakes then top them with Galaxy chocolate pieces.
Tips for making the Galaxy Chocolate Cupcakes:
- If you can't get hold of the Galaxy chocolate spread, then make the Galaxy chocolate buttercream from my Chocolate & Caramel Golden Egg Cupcakes instead
- I only added two Galaxy pieces to the top, but you could add three! Or decorate with another type of Galaxy chocolate
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Electric hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Cooling rack
- Wilton 2D Piping nozzle
- Wilton 1M Piping nozzle
- Galaxy Hot Chocolate
- Galaxy chocolate bar
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Galaxy chocolate recipes...
Galaxy Chocolate Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 30 g Galaxy Hot Chocolate Powder or cocoa powder
- 145 g Self raising flour
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the buttercream & topping
- 150 g Butter
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 200 g Galaxy chocolate spread see notes
- 2-3 tbsp Milk
- 200 g Galaxy chocolate bar broken into squares
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- To make the cupcakes, mix together the butter and caster sugar until smooth, ideally using a electric mixer
- Add the eggs and milk, and whisk in
- Add the self raising flour, Galaxy Hot Chocolate Powder and baking powder and whisk in gently
- Divide the mixture between the cupcakes cases, and bake them for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Put them on a rack to cool completely
- To make the buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar with a spoon or electric hand whisk, when it starts to come together, add the milk and Galaxy spread and mix until smooth. If the buttercream is too stiff, you can add a little more milk
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle. Or spread on with a spoon
- Top with pieces of the Galaxy chocolate bar
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
NB. This post is not in any way sponsored by Galaxy - I just love their product!