So many chocolates are being turned into spreads at the moment. There's a Galaxy one, a Bounty one, a Crunchie one... the list goes on! The one that caught my eye the most was the Malteser Teaser spread, it's a chocolate spread filled with crunchy malt pieces. I knew it would make an amazing buttercream, so I created these Malteser Teaser Cupcakes! And don't worry, you don't need to search through boxes of Celebrations to find the Malteser Teaser chocolates to go on top of these cupcakes. You can now buy entire boxes containing just the Malteser Teasers! I saw them in the shops at Christmas and I've been dying to make cupcakes with them ever since.
Step by step...
I decided to make a simple chocolate sponge for the cupcakes. You could add a malt powder like Ovaltine or Horlicks if you want a malt flavour by substituting half of the cocoa powder for it. I don't drink malt drinks so I decided not to as I thought the flavour would be minimal and then I'd have a whole jar of the drink leftover that I wouldn't use.
I divided the batter between 12 red cupcakes cases. They baked for 20 minutes.
I made the buttercream by mixing the Malteser Teaser spread with icing sugar, butter and milk. I piped it onto the cupcakes using an open star nozzle. Do not use a closed star nozzle as the little crunchy bits in the spread will get stuck in it! Then I topped them with a Malteser Teaser chocolate each.
The first thing that I noticed about the Malteser Teaser Cupcakes were how good they smelt! The milky, chocolatey and malty scent was irresistible!
And the buttercream... it's making my mouth water just thinking about it! It's just the right amount of chocolate flavour, nice and milky and not too rich. And the crunchy malt pieces throughout are so scrumptious. It really is heavenly!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Wilton 1M Piping nozzle||Red cupcake cases||Maltesers Spread|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Maltesers recipes...
|Maltesers Fudge||Maltesers Rocky Road||No Bake Maltesers Cheesecake|
Malteser Teaser Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 125 g Self raising flour
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the buttercream/topping
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 200 g Malteser Teaser chocolate spread
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 12 Malteser Teaser chocolates
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- To make the cupcakes, cream together the butter and caster sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs and milk, and mix well
- Add the self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and whisk in
- Divide the mixture between the cupcakes cases, and bake them for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Put them on a rack to cool completely
- To make the buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar with a spoon or electric hand whisk, when it starts to come together, add the milk and Malteser Teaser spread and mix until smooth
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with an open star nozzle. Or spread on with a spoon
- Top each cupcake with a Malteser Teaser chocolate!
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
NB. This post is not in any way sponsored by Maltesers - I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!