Simnel cake is a traditional option over the Easter season, it's packed with fruit, spices and covered in marzipan. This delicious Easter cheesecake is a modern way of enjoying those flavours. The base is made from fruity shortcake biscuits, the cheesecake filling has added spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and the whipped cream is flavoured with almond. It's also decorated with Galaxy Golden Eggs which are so pretty and yummy! I also used them to decorate my Chocolate & Caramel Golden Egg Cupcakes. It is also so easy to make, which is just what I needed as I've had a really rough couple of weeks. I had a wisdom tooth removed and the wound got infected so it made me very sick for several days. It's now nearly two weeks later and I'm finally back to myself, and most importantly I can eat and chew again!
Step by step...
I started by whizzing up fruit shortcake biscuits (I got mine from Tesco and they were the own brand in a purple packet) in my food processor until they were fine crumbs. Then I added melted butter, mixed it all together, then pressed into the bottom of a 23cm springform tin. I put it in the fridge for 30 mins to set.
For the cheesecake filling I used my electric hand whisk to mix together full fat cream cheese, icing sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg. Once it was combined I added double cream and continued too mix until it was thick.
I put the filling over the base and smoothed it down as best I could. I left it in the fridge overnight to set.
To decorate the Easter cheesecake I whipped up double cream along with icing sugar and almond extract. Then I piped two rows of cream using my Wilton Number 6B Open Star tip (slightly obsessed with this tip at the moment!)
I then added Golden Galaxy Eggs all around in between the rows of cream, and in the middle I sprinkled a mixture of toasted flaked almonds and some gold confetti sprinkles I found in Tesco. I then added some gold glitter all over the cheesecake as the final touch!
The Easter cheesecake was so creamy and the spices and almond in the cream all combined to create that Easter flavour that reminds you of simnel cake and hot cross buns. The Galaxy golden eggs and gold glitter made it look decadent and added extra indulgence. This would be an amazing dessert to enjoy after Sunday lunch, or any time over the Easter season.
How do I make sure the cheesecake sets?
When you’re mixing the filling, you want it to get to a stage where you can scoop some up with your spatula or spoon and you have to give it a tap on the side of the bowl or slight flick of the wrist to get the mixture off the spoon. If it’s sloppy and slides right off the spoon without any encouragement needed, then you need to mix it more. Always use an electric mixer for best results. It’s also very important to use full fat cream cheese and double cream (heavy cream), as any low fat versions will affect the setting of the cheesecake. I always set my cheesecake overnight in the fridge, I’d suggest a minimum of 4 hours.
How do you remove a no bake cheesecake from the tin?
To see step by step photos and a video showing you how to remove a no bake cheesecake from the tin, as well as the answers to lots of other common no bake cheesecake questions, check out my How to make a No Bake Cheesecake guide!
Recommended Equipment and Ingredients*
|23cm Springform tin||Electric hand mixer||Food processor|
|Wilton 8B Piping nozzle||Edible glitter spray||Piping bags|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Simnel recipes...
|Modern Simnel Cake||Easter Simnel Cupcakes|
Simnel Spiced Easter Cheesecake (No Bake)
- 80 g Butter melted
- 250 g Fruit shortcake biscuits
- 750 g Full fat cream cheese
- 180 g Icing sugar
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp Mixed Spice
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 pack of Golden Galaxy Eggs
- A handful of Toasted flaked almonds
- Golden confetti sprinkles optional
- Edible golden glitter spray optional
- To make the base use a food processor to whizz up the biscuits into crumbs, or bash them with a rolling pin in a bowl
- Add the melted butter and mix together, then press the mixture into the bottom of a 23cm springform tin. Put it in the fridge for 30 mins to set
- For the cheesecake filling use an electric hand whisk to mix together the full fat cream cheese, the icing sugar, the cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg. Once it is combined add the double cream and continue to mix until it thickens
- Pour the filling over the biscuit base and smooth it down. Leave it in the fridge overnight, or for at least 4 hours, to set
- Remove from the tin and put on your serving plate. Smooth the sides with a butter knife to create a neater finish
- To decorate the cheesecake whip up the double cream along with the icing sugar and the almond extract. Pipe two rows of cream using a Wilton Number 6B Open Star tip, or any other rosette tip you have
- Add the Golden Galaxy Eggs all around the cheesecake in between the rows of cream, in the middle sprinkle a mixture of the toasted flaked almonds and the gold confetti sprinkles. Then add gold edible glitter all over the cheesecake as the final touch
- Store any leftovers in the fridge and eat within 2 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cheesecake recipes!
Or you can check out my Easter recipes!
Pin for later!