I absolutely love Halloween and all the spooky themed food that comes with it. These Slime Cupcakes fit the bill perfectly as they look rather scary with their black "burnt" sponge, bright green "toxic" buttercream and creepy candy eyes, but don't be fooled - they taste absolutely yummy! Once you bite into their menacing exterior you'll find gooey "radioactive" slime inside! I used a lime marmalade to create this effect, but you could use strawberry jam for a "blood and guts" theme inside too. Kids and adults alike will love making these fun slime cupcakes to disgust and delight their family and friends over the Halloween season!
Step by step...
To make the cupcakes sponges I creamed together the butter and caster sugar, then added the black food colouring. I whisked in the eggs, vanilla extract and then the self raising flour.
I divided the batter into the black cupcake cases. They baked for 20 mins, I had to use a cake skewer to check they were done as they were so black!
When they fully cooled, I used a cupcake corer to make holes in the middle of each cake.
I added a little bit of lime green food colouring to the lemon and lime marmalade, then spooned it into each cupcakes.
To make the buttercream I mixed together the butter and icing sugar. I added the vanilla extract and the lime green food colouring until I had a nice bright green colour. I piped it onto the cupcakes then added the candy eyes!
Despite the spooky appearance of the slime cupcakes, they were extremely popular. Everyone was attracted to their bright and unusual colours. My friends and family were pleasantly surprised by the light vanilla flavour of the sponge and buttercream, and they loved the citrus zing of the lime marmalade filling.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Cupcake corer||Black cupcake cases||Lime green food colouring|
|Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Wilton 1M Piping nozzle||Candy eyes|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Halloween Cupcake recipes...
|Bleeding Brain Cupcakes||Halloween Vampire Bat Cupcakes||Halloween Graveyard Cupcakes|
For the cupcake sponge
- 175 g Baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 25 g Black food colouring
- 3 Eggs large
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter
- 400 g Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Lime green food colouring
For the filling and decoration
- Lemon & lime marmalade
- A few drops of Lime green food colouring
- Candy eyes
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, line a large cupcake or muffin tray with black cupcake cases
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar, then add the black food colouring, you will need quite a lot
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract, then add the self raising flour and whisk in
- Divide the batter between the black cupcake cases
- Bake for 20 mins, you will have to use a cake skewer to check they are done because of the colour!
- Let the cupcakes fully cool, then use a cupcake corer or a knife to make holes in the middle of each cake
- Add a little bit of lime green food colouring to the lemon and lime marmalade, then spoon it into each cupcake
- Make the buttercream by mixing together the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then add the vanilla extract and the lime green food colouring until you have a bright green colour
- Using a piping bag, pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes. Then add the candy eyes!
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Or you might like my Halloween recipes!
Pin for later!