Gingerbread and ginger in general always make me think of Christmas. I can never resist a cute gingerbread man, whether it's a biscuit or a tree decoration. This Gingerbread Cake with Ginger Buttercream is basically gingerbread heaven in cake form! I cannot rave enough about how gloriously spiced and moist the sponge is, it is one of my absolute favourites! I've also put ginger in the buttercream to carry on that delicious flavour in every bite. This is a perfect cake for the festive season and for your Christmas baking!
How to make a Gingerbread Cake...
In a pan on a low heat I melted butter, golden syrup, black treacle and light brown sugar. In a bowl I whisked together eggs and milk.
I slowly poured the butter mixture into the egg mixture, then added flour, mixed spice and ground ginger.
I divided the sponge between the cake tins and baked until golden.
To decorate I made a ginger buttercream using icing sugar, butter, ground ginger and vanilla extract.
The Gingerbread Cake with Ginger Buttercream was divine if I do say so myself! I love how moist the sponge is, whether you like that word or not, it is very moist!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8" cake tins||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle|
|Mixed spice||Gingerbread fondant toppers||Gingerbread sprinkles|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Tips for making the Gingerbread Cake with Ginger Buttercream:
- I like to add mixed spice to my ginger cake, for extra depth of flavour, but some people don't like to add anything but ground ginger. If you wanted to experiment, you could even try adding some cinnamon perhaps, or some cardamom. You decide!
- If you'd like to make this into cupcakes, check out my Gingerbread Cupcakes recipe!
- You can freeze this cake without the buttercream, just make sure to wrap it up well.
- If you don't fancy decorating it with sprinkles, you could crumble up some gingerbread biscuits, or chop up some crystallised ginger, or leave it plain!
More Gingerbread recipes...
|Gingerbread Loaf Cake||Gingerbread House||Ginger & Lemon Cake|
|Vegan Gingerbread Men||Vegan Gingerbread Trifles||Gingerbread Bonfire Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce|
|Gingerbread Cupcakes||Gingerbread Traybake|
Gingerbread Cake with Ginger Buttercream
For the cake
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 225 g Golden syrup
- 200 g Light brown sugar
- 75 g Black treacle
- 4 Eggs large
- 250 ml Milk
- 400 g Self raising flour
- 2 tbsp Ground ginger
- 2 tsp Mixed spice
For the buttercream
- 250 g Butter or baking spread
- 500 g Icing sugar
- 2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Gingerbread men sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line two 8" cake tins (that are at least 2" deep)
- Make the sponge by melting the butter, golden syrup, light brown sugar and black treacle together in a pan on a low heat. Once it is all melted and combined, leave to cool for 10 minutes
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl
- Slowly pour the butter and syrup mixture into the eggs, whisking as you pour, until everything is combined
- Add the flour and the spices and whisk in
- Divide the mixture between the tins, use scales for accuracy
- Bake them for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave them to fully cool either in the tins or remove from the tin and place on cooling racks
- To make the ginger buttercream mix the butter, ground ginger and icing sugar together. Once it starts to come together add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth. I use my electric hand whisk to do this but you can also do it by hand with a spoon
- If the cakes have domed on top, level them off with a cake leveller or a serrated knife
- Put one of the sponges on your plate or cake stand and pipe or spread some of the buttercream onto it
- Add the other sponge on top and pipe or spread the remaining buttercream on top
- Decorate with the Gingerbread men decorations and sprinkles if using
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Or you might like more of my Christmas recipes!
Pin it for later!