What better way to begin celebrating the Christmas season than with these Gingerbread Cupcakes. Gingerbread flavour and gingerbread men just scream Christmas, they make me feel so festive and ready to curl up under a blanket on the sofa. I've infused these gingerbread cupcakes with ground ginger and mixed spice for that classic gingerbread flavour, as well as golden syrup and treacle. There's also ground ginger in the buttercream for extra yum!
These Gingerbread Cupcakes are absolutely yummy and just looking at them makes me so excited for Christmas! They taste just like gingerbread biscuits in cupcake form, and they look super cute with the little men on top.
The recipe and photos for this post were updated in October 2020.
How to make Gingerbread Cupcakes
Start by melting the butter, light brown sugar, black treacle and golden syrup together in a pan on a low heat. Let it cool for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Then add the melted butter mixture to the eggs, whisking as you pour.
In another bowl, stir together the self raising flour, ground ginger and mixed spice. Then add the butter/egg mixture and whisk everything together well.
Divide the mixture into cupcakes cases and then baked them until they are golden brown and risen.
Tips for making the Gingerbread Cupcakes:
- The little gingerbread men decorations I used are from a brand called Culpitt. I got them on Amazon. You could also decorate with small gingerbread biscuits, or crushed gingernuts.
- You can freeze the cupcakes and buttercream, either assembled or separately. Wrap them well, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- If you would like to make a this recipe into a cake, check out my Gingerbread Cake recipe!
- I used a Jem 1E nozzle to pipe on the buttercream.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Electric hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Cooling rack
- Jem 1E Piping nozzle
- Red foil cupcake cases
- Gingerbread fondant toppers
- Mixed spice
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Gingerbread recipes...
For the cupcakes
- 100 g Butter or baking spread
- 100 g Light brown sugar
- 115 g Golden syrup
- 35 g Black treacle (also known as molasses)
- 2 Eggs large
- 125 ml Milk
- 200 g Self raising flour
- 1 tbsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
For the buttercream
- 200 g Butter
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tbsp Milk optional, if the buttercream needs loosening
For the decoration
- Gingerbread man fondant shapes optional
- Sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and line a cupcake tin with cases
- Melt the butter, golden syrup, light brown sugar and black treacle together in a pan on a low heat. Once it is all melted and combined, leave to cool for 10 minutes
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a mixing bowl
- Slowly pour the butter and syrup mixture into the eggs, whisking as you pour, until everything is combined
- In another bowl, stir together the self raising flour, ground ginger and mixed spice
- Slowly pour the egg and butter mixture into the flour, whisking as your pour, until everything is combined
- Divide the mixture equally between the cupcakes cases
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, remove them from the tin and place them on a cooling rack to cool down fully
- To make the buttercream use an electric hand mixer to beat together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract and ground ginger until smooth. You may need to add a splash of milk to loosen it, depending on the type of butter you use
- Pipe or spread the buttercream onto the cupcakes, then add gingerbread man icing shapes and sprinkles if desired
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days