I featured a recipe for Sticky Ginger & Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe on my Leftover Stem Ginger post. It really stood out to me and I got a couple of comments about how good it looked. I've changed the original recipe a bit to suit my own baking style and taste, and I also think my version is simpler to make and more foolproof. I've called it Ginger & Lemon Cake and it's made up of a sticky ginger sponge, filled with lemon curd, stem ginger and whipped cream. It's such a comforting Autumn/Winter recipe that's packed with flavour!
How to make Ginger & Lemon Cake...
In a pan on a low heat I melted the butter, black treacle and golden syrup together. In a large bowl I stirred together self raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon and dark brown sugar.
I added the melted butter mixure to the flour mixture and whisked together. Then I added the eggs and milk to the mixture and whisked in.
I divided the mixture between two 8" sandwich tins and baked for 30 minutes.
For the fillings, I chopped up balls of stem ginger and mixed with lemon curd. Then I whipped up the double cream, cream cheese, stem ginger syrup and icing sugar. I dolloped this on top of the lemon curd, then sandwiched the two cake halves together.
I spread the lemon curd mixture on the bottom half of the cake, then added the cream on top.
For the final touch I dusted the whole Ginger & Lemon Cake with icing sugar.
The sponge of the Ginger & Lemon Cake was so rich and moist, the ginger and lemon flavours are such a punchy mixture, they make your taste buds tingle in all the right ways!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8" cake tins||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Round cake tin liners|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Gingerbread recipes...
|Gingerbread Loaf Cake||Gingerbread House||Gingerbread Cupcakes|
|Vegan Gingerbread Men||Vegan Gingerbread Trifles||Gingerbread Bonfire Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce|
|Gingerbread Cake with Ginger Buttercream||Gingerbread Traybake|
For the sponge
- 140 g Butter or baking spread
- 140 g Black treacle
- 140 g Golden syrup
- 300 g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp Ground ginger
- 2 tsp Mixed spice
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 140 g Dark brown sugar
- 300 ml Whole milk
- 1 Egg large
For the lemon curd filling
- 160 g Lemon curd
- 2 Balls stem ginger diced
For the creamy icing
- 3-4 tbsp Syrup from the stem ginger jar
- 100 g Cream cheese
- 200 ml Double cream
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line two 8" cake tins
- In a pan on a low heat melted butter, black treacle and golden syrup together. Once melted, remove from the heat
- In a large bowl stir together the self raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon and dark brown sugar
- Pour the treacle mixture into the flour mixture and whisk well
- Whisk the egg and the milk together in a small bowl or jug, then add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring well between each addition
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool fully
- For the filling, mix the lemon curd with the diced ginger and spread on the bottom sponge
- For the icing, beat together the ginger syrup, cream cheese, double cream and icing sugar until thick using an electric mixer. Add it to the cake on top of the lemon curd filling, then sandwich with the other half of the cake
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days
Recipe slightly adapted from BBC Good Food.
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Pin for later!