Sometimes you just want a no frills cake that’s simply delicious, and this Vanilla Loaf Cake fits the bill perfectly. It’s a light vanilla sponge, topped with creamy vanilla buttercream and sprinkles. I love vanilla and anything vanilla flavoured – I think it’s a pretty universally loved flavour! The most popular ice cream flavour in the world is vanilla, and a big scoop of it would be so yummy with a slice of this cake! This was actually a reader requested recipe – don’t forget to let me know if you have any recipe requests! The best way is either in the comments or via my Instagram profile.
How to make a Vanilla Loaf Cake…
To make the sponge I mixed the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then I whisked in the eggs and vanilla extract.
I gently whisked in the self raising flour, then poured the mixture into the tin.
It baked for an hour until golden, then I made a vanilla buttercream by mixing butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together.
Tips for making the Vanilla Loaf Cake:
- I decorated the cake with vanilla buttercream, but you could make some icing with icing sugar and vanilla extract and/or water, and drizzle it over instead for an even simpler decoration.
- It’s really important to use good quality vanilla extract for the perfect natural vanilla flavour. Avoid using essence as it’s a sythentic flavour and personally I don’t think it tastes as good.
- The cake can be frozen without the decoration, wrap it well and freeze for a maximum of 3 months.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Loaf cake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Loaf cake tin liners|
|Piping bags||Round piping nozzle||Funfetti sprinkles|
|Loaf cake storage box|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Vanilla recipes…
|Funfetti Vanilla Cupcakes||Vanilla Oreo Cupcakes|
For the sponge
- 200 g Butter or baking spread
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs large
- 200 g Self raising flour
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract (not essence!)
For the buttercream
- 125 g Butter or baking spread
- 250 g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (not essence!)
For decoration (optional)
- Sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Mix together the butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer or a spoon until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and whisk in until smooth
- Whisk in the flour gently until fully combined
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for an hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool fully
- To make the buttercream, use an electric mixer or a spoon to mix together the butter and icing sugar until they start to combine, then add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth
- Put it into a piping bag and pipe it onto the loaf cake, or spread on with a spoon or spatula
- Decorate with sprinkles, if using
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Loaf Cake recipes!
Pin it for later!