If there’s one thing Easter is all about for me then it’s chocolate! So I’ve made this rich Easter Chocolate Cake that’s perfect for celebrating with. It’s a chocolate sponge filled and topped with plenty of chocolate buttercream, and I’ve decorated the top with crushed flake bar and mini eggs to create an Easter nest appearance. Even if it’s not Easter this is a great classic chocolate cake recipe that you can make any time of year and decorate with any chocolate of your choice. Pretty much everyone loves a good chocolate cake, and this Easter Chocolate Cake would be perfect to serve to your friends and family for dessert after a delicious meal.
Step by step…
To make the sponge I creamed the butter and sugar together, then whisked in the eggs and milk.
I added self raising flour and cocoa powder, and whisked in.
Then I divided the mixture between the cake tins. They baked for 35 minutes and I left them to cool fully.
To make the buttercream I mixed the cocoa powder, icing sugar and milk together until smooth.
I piped the buttercream onto the bottom layer, then added the second sponge and piped the remaining buttercream on top.
I piled plenty of mini eggs in the middle and added crushed flakes all around them.
I love how pretty pastel mini eggs add Easter fun to anything so easily, plus they make this Easter Chocolate Cake look extra tempting!
The Easter Chocolate Cake was so moist and absolute chocolate heaven!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8″ cake tins||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Round cake tin liners|
|Piping bags||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle||Mini Eggs|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Mini Eggs recipes…
|Lemon Easter Nest Baked Donuts||Mini Layered Easter Cakes||Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests|
|Easter Nest Cupcakes||Easter Speckled Egg Drip Cake||Mini Egg Chocolate Loaf Cake|
Easter Chocolate Cake
For the sponge
- 350 g Butter or baking spread
- 350 g Caster sugar
- 6 Eggs large
- 300 g Self raising flour
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the chocolate buttercream
- 250 g Butter or baking spread
- 450 g Icing sugar
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 Flake bars crushed
- 270 g Mini eggs
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line two 8" cake tins
- Make the sponge by mixing the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl with a spoon until fluffy, or mix using an electric mixer
- Add the eggs and milk, and whisk until fully incorporated
- Add the self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and whisk in until you can't see any flour anymore
- Divide the mixture between the tins, use scales for accuracy
- Bake them for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave them to fully cool either in the tins or remove from the tin and place on cooling racks
- To make the chocolate buttercream mix the butter, cocoa powder and icing sugar together. Once it starts to come together add the milk and mix until smooth. I use my electric hand whisk to do this but you can also do it by hand with a spoon
- If the cakes have domed on top, level them off with a cake leveller or a serrated knife
- Put one of the sponges on your plate or cake stand and pipe or spread some of the buttercream onto it
- Add the other sponge on top and pipe or spread the remaining buttercream on top
- Decorate with the flake bars and mini eggs
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Or check out my Easter recipes!
Pin for later!