I recently ran a Cupcake Decorating Class, and I came up with the design for these Easter Nest Cupcakes as a way to use a piping nozzle with multiple openings. When I popped a photo of it on Instagram I got a great reaction! I asked my followers if they wanted to see a full recipe for these cute cupcakes and the result was a resounding yes! So here it is, light vanilla cupcakes with a chocolate buttercream nest, filled with mini eggs. They are super cute, great for Easter and brilliant for making with kids. Piping the nest is really easy with the right nozzle, and it doesn’t matter how it turns out as nests are meant to be rustic!
Step by step…
To make the cupcakes, I creamed together the butter and sugar until smooth. Then I add eggs, vanilla, and self raising flour.
I divided the mixture between 12 pastel coloured cupcake cases, and baked them for 20 minutes until then were golden brown. I left them to cool completely. To decorate the Easter Nest Cupcakes I made a chocolate buttercream, then piped it on using a Wilton 233 nozzle. I added three mini eggs in the centre.
Check out my YouTube video show you exactly how to pipe to get the Easter Nest shape!
The Easter Nest Cupcakes looked so pretty and ready for springtime with their pastel paper cases and mini egg decorations! I do love chocolate in all forms, but as the sponge is vanilla it’s nice to have something lighter paired with the chocolate buttercream.
If you’re planning a baking session with your children or grandchildren in the run up to Easter, these Easter Nest Cupcakes are a fantastic option. They’re so simple to make, and the kids can have fun with decorating! You could use any small egg chocolate or sweets in the middle – there’s Smarties eggs, mini creme eggs, and so many more other options these days!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Mini Eggs||Wilton 233 nozzle||Cupcake tin|
|Piping bags||Pastel pink cupcake cases||Cake tester|
|Pastel blue cupcake cases|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Mini Eggs recipes…
|Lemon Easter Nest Baked Donuts||Mini Layered Easter Cakes||Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests|
|Easter Chocolate Cake||Easter Speckled Egg Drip Cake||Mini Egg Chocolate Loaf Cake|
Easter Nest Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 175 g Self raising flour
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
For the buttercream
- 150 g Butter or baking spread
- 175 g Icing sugar
- 25 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 36 Mini Eggs
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- To make the cupcakes, cream together the butter and caster sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix well
- Add the self raising flour and whisk in
- Divide the mixture between the cupcakes cases, and bake them for 20-25 minutes until then are golden brown. Put them on a rack to cool completely
- To make the chocolate buttercream, mix together the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder. When it starts to come together, add the milk and mix until smooth
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake using a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 233 nozzle to make a nest. Add three different coloured mini eggs in the centre
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Or you might like my Easter recipes!
Pin for later!