These Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests are chocolatey and melt in the mouth treats that are perfect for Easter! They are filled with whipped cream (which is the ideal partner to crisp meringue!) and super cute Mini Eggs. If it's not Easter time, you can still enjoy these yummy chocolate meringues, fill them with berries, fruit or any of your favourite chocolate.
Whether you're new to making meringue, or looking for a twist on plain white meringue, these chocolate meringues are easy to make with delicious results!
How to make Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests...
To start, I finely grated dark chocolate and then stirred cocoa powder into it. I whisked up egg whites and cream of tartar in a food mixer until stiff peaks formed.
Keeping the mixer going, I added vanilla extract and poured in caster sugar. Once stiff peaks formed I turned the mixer off and folded the grated chocolate and cocoa powder mixture into the meringue
I put the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and piped out nest shapes onto a lined baking tray. When they were baked and cooled, I filled them with whipped cream, and decorated with Mini Eggs.
Tips for making the Chocolate Easter Meringue Nests:
- If you don't have or can't get hold of cream of tartar, you can use the same amount of white vinegar.
- I've found that using fresh egg whites at room temperature is the best way to achieve a great meringue, I don't advise using those cartons of egg white.
- For recipes to use up the egg yolks, check out my Leftover Egg Yolks recipe collection.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Stand mixer||Piping bags|
|Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Mini Eggs|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Mini Eggs recipes...
|Mini Egg Dessert Pots||Mini Layered Easter Cakes||Easter Chocolate Cake|
|Easter Nest Cupcakes||Easter Speckled Egg Drip Cake||Mini Egg Chocolate Loaf Cake|
|Chocolate Baked Donut Easter Nests||Mini Egg Ice Cream|
Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests
For the meringue
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 6 Egg whites large
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- 400 g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For filling & decoration
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 36 Mini Eggs
- 2 tbsp Dark chocolate curls/sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 100C Fan/225F/Gas Mark ¼, and line two or three baking trays (depending on size) with greaseproof paper
- Finely grate the dark chocolate and stir the cocoa powder into it
- Whisk up the egg whites and cream of tartar in a food mixer until stiff peaks form, they will hold their shape but still be foamy.
- Keeping the mixer going, add the vanilla extract and slowly add caster sugar a spoonful at a time. Once stiff peaks form turn the mixer off, the meringue will be thick, glossy and hold it's shape very well
- Fold the chocolate and cocoa powder mix into the meringue
- Put the meringue into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe out nest shapes onto the baking tray. Start by piping a circle, then pipe a ring on top of the circle. Or you can dollop the meringue onto the baking tray and use the back of a spoon to create a dent in the centre
- Bake the meringue nests for 1 hour and 30 minutes. To avoid the meringue from cracking turn the oven off and do not open the door until the oven is fully cooled down
- Whip up the double cream with the icing sugar and vanilla, then spoon it into the middle of each nest, add 3 Mini Eggs per nest and add some dark chocolate sprinkles, or grated dark chocolate curls if you like
- Store in the fridge and eat within 2 days