Step by step…
To start, I finely grated dark chocolate and then stirred cocoa powder into it.
I whisked up egg whites and cream of tartar in a food mixer until soft peaks formed.
Keeping the mixer going, I added vanilla extract and poured in caster sugar. Always measure your egg whites and then double the amount of sugar to get the perfect meringue. Once stiff peaks formed – turn the bowl upside for the true test of this! – then I turned the mixer off.
I folded the chocolate and cocoa powder mix into the meringue.
I put the meringue into a piping bag with a star nozzle and piped out nest shapes onto a lined baking tray. There were 12 in total.
I baked the meringue nests on 140C (120C Fan)/275F/Gas Mark 1 for 40 minutes.
I whipped up double cream and also grabbed a bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs.
Then I spooned some of the cream into the middle of each of the Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests, added 3 Mini Eggs, and then drizzled over some melted dark chocolate to finish.
The Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests were so chocolatey and melt in the mouth, and I think we all know how well freshly whipped cream goes with crisp meringue! I thought they looked really cute. You could also top the Chocolate Meringue Easter Nests with mini creme eggs, caramel eggs, oreo eggs… whichever you prefer!
More Mini Eggs recipes…
|Lemon Easter Nest Baked Donuts||Mini Layered Easter Cakes||Easter Chocolate Cake|
|Easter Nest Cupcakes||Easter Speckled Egg Drip Cake||Mini Egg Chocolate Loaf Cake|
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Stand mixer||Piping bags|
|Jem 1E Piping nozzle||Mini Eggs|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
For the meringue
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- 4 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 6 Egg whites large
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Double the weight of the egg whites Caster sugar
For filling & decoration
- 300 ml Double cream
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Mini Eggs
- 6 squares Dark chocolate melted
- Pre-heat your oven to 140C/120C Fan/275F/Gas Mark 1, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Finely grate the dark chocolate and stir the cocoa powder into it
- Whisk up the egg whites and cream of tartar in a food mixer until soft peaks form
- Keeping the mixer going, add the vanilla extract and slowly pour in the caster sugar. Once stiff peaks form turn the mixer off
- Fold the chocolate and cocoa powder mix into the meringue
- Put the meringue into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe out nest shapes onto the baking tray
- Bake the meringue nests for 40 minutes. Allow to cool fully before filling
- Whip up the double cream with the icing sugar and vanilla, then spoon it into the middle of each nest, add 3 Mini Eggs, and then drizzle over the melted dark chocolate to finish