Biscotti is Italian for ‘twice cooked’ as the biscuits are first baked as a log shape, then sliced and baked again until they get super crunchy! These Chocolate Orange Biscotti are flavoured with cocoa powder, mixed peel and orange zest. I’ve also dipped them in Terry’s chocolate orange! They are great for dunking in hot drinks as they really soak up the liquid. Biscotti do commonly have nuts in them but I’ve made these nut free and just focused on that delicious combination of orange and chocolate!
How to make Chocolate Orange Biscotti…
In a mixing bowl I stirred together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, mixed peel and orange zest.
Then I added the eggs and milk and made a log shape on a lined baking tray measuring approximately 35cm long and 10cm wide. I baked it for 30 minutes.
I left it to cool for another 30 minutes, then I used a serrated knife to carefully slice the cooked dough and placed the sliceds onto lined baking trays. Then I baked the slices again for 30 minutes, turning them over at the 15 minutes mark. They were nice and crisp and when I pressed them in the middle there was no give.
Once the slices were fully cool, I dipped the ends in melted Terry’s Chocolate Orange and added some orange sprinkles. I left them to set on some baking paper.
The Chocolate Orange Biscotti were super crunchy and packed with chocolate orange flavour.
I’m not a tea and coffee drinker, but I’ve been reliably informed that these are great dunked in tea or coffee! I love them with hot chocolate!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Baking trays||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Terry’s Chocolate Orange|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More chocolate orange recipes…
Chocolate Orange Biscotti
For the biscotti
- 260 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 160 g Caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 145 g Mixed peel
- 1 Orange zest only
- 3 Eggs large
- 50 ml Milk
- 1 Terry's chocolate orange melted
- Orange sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, line a large baking tray with baking paper
- For the biscotti dough stir the plain flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl
- Then stir in the mixed peel and orange zest
- Add the eggs and milk, and stir to make a sticky dough
- Tip the dough onto the baking tray and shape it into a rectangle, approximately 35cm long and 10cm wide
- Bake the dough for 35 minutes. Then leave it to cool on the tray for about 30 minutes
- Using a serrated knife, trim off the ends, then carefully slice the cooked dough into about 1" slices and place them onto lined baking trays
- Bake the slices again for 30 minutes, turning them over halfway through. They are done when you press the middle and there is no give and they feel dry
- Melt the Terry's chocolate orange, you can do this in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave in 10 second intervals and stir in between until fully melted
- Dip in one of the edges of each biscotti. Add orange sprinkles if you like. Leave to set on some baking paper
- Store the biscotti in an airtight container and eat within 2 weeks
NB. This post is NOT in anyway sponsored by Terry’s – I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Biscuit recipes!
Pin for later!