I wasn’t sure whether to share a Chocolate Orange Cake as there are SO many recipes for them out there. But then I thought, well this is my version and if you like my other cakes then you will surely like this one too! This Chocolate Orange Cake is two layer of moist chocolate orange sponge with chocolate orange buttercream, decorated with Terry’s Chocolate Orange pieces and orange sprinkles. I’ve made it several times over the years for birthdays and other celebrations and it always goes down well!
How to make Chocolate Orange Cake…
To make the sponge I mixed butter and sugar together, then whisked in eggs and orange extract. Finally I mixed in self raising flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. I divided them between the cake tins and baked them.
To decorate the cake I made a buttercream from butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, milk and orange extract.
I crammed as much Terry’s Chocolate Orange as I could manage on top of the Chocolate Orange Cake! Can you ever have enough?! I also added some orange sprinkles to continue the orange theme, but of course you can use any sprinkles you like, or none at all.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|8″ cake tins||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Electric hand mixer||Wilton 2D Piping nozzle|
|Piping bags||Terry’s Chocolate Orange||Orange extract|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
Tips for making the Chocolate Orange Cake:
- You do need orange extract to get a good level of orange flavour from this recipe. Please don’t substitute it for orange juice as it won’t work. Orange extract is pretty easy to get hold of in the baking aisle, I get mine from Tesco, or you can order it online from Amazon.
- You could bake this cake as one mix in a deep tin, then cut it in half once baked, just increase the baking to 45-50 minutes and check it is done with a thin skewer inserted in the centre. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- If you don’t have Terry’s Chocolate Orange where you live, or you can’t get hold of it, just use any other orange flavoured chocolate treat like Lindt, Matchmakers, or perhaps the elusive orange Twirl!!
More chocolate orange recipes…
Chocolate Orange Cake
For the sponge
- 350 g Butter or baking spread
- 350 g Caster sugar
- 6 Eggs large
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 300 g Self raising flour
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
For the buttercream
- 250 g Butter or baking spread
- 450 g Icing sugar
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- 1 Terry's Chocolate Orange
- Orange sprinkles optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C Fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, and grease and line two 8" cake tins
- Make the sponge by mixing the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl with a spoon until fluffy, or mix using an electric mixer
- Add the eggs, orange extract and milk, and whisk until fully incorporated
- Add the self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and whisk in until you can't see any flour anymore
- Divide the mixture between the tins, use scales for accuracy
- Bake them for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave them to fully cool either in the tins or remove from the tin and place on cooling racks
- To make the chocolate buttercream mix the butter, cocoa powder and icing sugar together. Once it starts to come together add the orange extract and milk and mix until smooth. I use my electric hand whisk to do this but you can also do it by hand with a spoon
- If the cakes have domed on top, level them off with a cake leveller or a serrated knife
- Put one of the sponges on your plate or cake stand and pipe or spread some of the buttercream onto it
- Add the other sponge on top and pipe or spread the remaining buttercream on top
- Decorate with the Terry's Chocolate Orange pieces, and orange sprinkles if using
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 2-3 days
NB. This post is NOT sponsored by Terry’s – I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Cake recipes!
Pin it for later!