I love a chocolate brownie any day of the week, but add some orange to that chocolate and it's next level! These Chocolate Orange Brownies are as gooey and fudgey as you would want from a brownie. Then I've added orange extract and Terry's Chocolate Orange pieces - both chopped up inside and segments on top.
These Chocolate Orange Brownies are gooey and delicious! The chocolate orange on top is extra yummy, I do love when chocolate is baked just a little bit, it almost makes it taste better!! They are a chocolate orange dream, and so easy to make too!
How to make Chocolate Orange Brownies...
I started by melting the dark chocolate and butter together in a pan on a low heat. I let it cool for 5 minutes.
In a bowl I whisked together the eggs, dark brown sugar and orange extract. I added the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as I poured it in. Then I added the plain flour and baking powder.
I stirred in the chopped chocolate orange segments then I poured the batter into a lined traybake tin. I baked the brownies for 25 minutes, then I placed some chocolate orange segments that I had frozen on top and baked for another 5 minutes.
Do you have to use dark brown sugar for the Chocolate Orange Brownies?
No, you can also use light brown sugar or caster sugar. I do recommend using either light or dark brown sugar if you can as it adds extra fudgeyness to the brownies!
What can you use instead of orange extract?
I get my orange extract either from Amazon (Nielsen Massey is my favourite brand) or from a supermarket baking section like Tesco or Waitrose. If you can't get hold of it, you can stir the zest of one orange into these brownies for that extra orange hit.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Traybake tin||Mixing bowls||Cooling rack|
|Kitchen scales||Terry's Chocolate Orange||Orange extract|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More chocolate orange recipes...
Chocolate Orange Brownies
- 350 g Dark chocolate broken into squares
- 250 g Butter or baking spread
- 250 g Dark brown sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Orange extract
- 120 g Plain flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 Terry's Chocolate Orange
- Put 12 segments of the Terry's Chocolate Orange into the freezer. Chop the remaining chocolate orange into chunks
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 12" x 9" traybake tin
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter together in a pan on a low heat. When fully melted, stir together and remove from the heat. Let it cool for 5 minutes
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, dark brown sugar and orange extract until frothy
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour it in
- Add the plain flour and baking powder. Whisk in until you can't see any flour
- Stir in the chopped up Terry's Chocolate Orange
- Pour the batter into the lined traybake tin and bake for 25 minutes
- Take the brownies out of the oven, press the frozen Terry's Chocolate Orange segments into the batter, then put them back in the oven for 5 minutes
- Let the brownies cool completely in the tin before removing and slicing up
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days
NB. This post is NOT in anyway sponsored by Terry's - I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Brownie recipes!
Pin it for later!