You are probably familiar with the deliciousness of Nutella, and the world of epic dessert possibilities that have been created using this yummy spread. Whilst I wouldn't turn any of these down, I have to say my favourite way to enjoy Nutella is simply in buttercream form on top of a light sponge. These Nutella Bueno Cupcakes deliver on both fronts and there's also the extra treat of a mini Bueno piece on top. The cake sponge is lovely and light, with delicious chocolate flavour. The Nutella buttercream is silky, creamy and has an intense Nutella flavour! I've made these cupcakes many times for bake sales and they always sell out!
The photos for this post were updated in March 2021.
How to make Nutella Bueno Cupcakes
Mix the butter and caster sugar together. Then add the eggs and whisked them in, then mix in the cocoa powder and self raising flour.
Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, and bake for 20 minutes.
To make the Nutella buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then mix in the Nutella and the milk. Put it into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice and pipe it onto the cupcakes. Top them with mini Bueno pieces and chocolate strand sprinkles.
Do you have to use self raising flour for this recipe?
No, if you can't find self raising flour or don't have it available where you live, you can use plain/all-purpose flour along with 1 ½ tsp baking powder. Measure the baking powder using a proper measuring teaspoon (not the kind you stir your coffee with).
How long do the Nutella Bueno Cupcakes keep for and can they be frozen?
The cupcakes will keep in an airtight container for 3 days in a cool place. You can freeze the sponges either alone, or decorated (but do not freeze the Kinder Bueno pieces or sprinkles). Once the sponges are fully cool, wrap them well with cling film or put them in an airtight container. You can freeze the buttercream on it’s own in a tub, or you can decorate the cupcakes and freeze them assembled.
To do this and avoid damage to the decoration, freeze them in an airtight container. Or let them freeze solid on a board or plate, then wrap in cling film. Remove the cling film when you take them out to defrost it, if you don’t it could damage the decoration as it defrosts and softens.
Can this recipe be made into a large cake?
Yes! Have a look at my Nutella Cake recipe for ingredient amounts and instructions.
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
- Cupcake tin
- Electric hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Cooling rack
- Nutella spread
- Kinder Bueno
- Jem 1E Piping nozzle
- Brown cupcake cases
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Nutella recipes...
- Nutella Bueno Loaf Cake
- Nutella Meringue Roulade
- Nutella, Banana & Marshmallow Tart
- Nutella Baked Donuts
- Raspberry & Nutella Bread Rolls
- Nutella Bueno Cheesecake (No Bake)
- Nutella Cheesecake Blondies
- Nutella Kinder Bueno Brownies
- Nutella Stuffed Cookies
- Cherry & Nutella Chocolate Cake
- Nutella Popcorn
- Nutella Cake
Nutella Bueno Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 150 g Self raising flour
- 25 g Cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
For the buttercream
- 150 g Butter
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 200 g Nutella
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the decoration
- 12 Kinder Bueno Mini Pieces
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases
- To make the cupcake sponges, start by creaming together the butter and caster sugar
- Add the eggs and whisk them in one at a time, then whisk in the cocoa powder, baking powder and self raising flour
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- To make the Nutella buttercream mix together the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then mix in the Nutella and the milk. Put it into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe it onto the cupcakes, or spread on with a spoon
- Top them with mini Bueno pieces and chocolate strand sprinkles
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
NB. This post is NOT sponsored by Nutella – I just love their product!