You are probably familiar with the deliciousness of Nutella, and the world of epic dessert possibilities that have been created using this yummy spread. Whilst I wouldn’t turn any of these down, I have to say my favourite way to enjoy Nutella is simply in buttercream form on top of a light sponge.
These Nutella Bueno Cupcakes deliver on both fronts and there’s also the extra treat of a mini Bueno piece. I first made these Nutella Bueno Cupcakes for a bake sale almost a year ago, but I didn’t have a chance to take any photos so I could share them with you. Luckily I got to bake them again recently for another bake sale and now I can share this recipe with you!
Step by step…
I started by creaming together the butter and caster sugar. Then I added the eggs and whisked them in, then mixed in the cocoa powder and self raising flour.
I separated the mixture between 12 muffin cases lining a muffin tray. The cupcakes baked for 20 minutes.
To make the Nutella buttercream I mixed together the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then I mixed in the Nutella and the milk. I put it into a piping bag with a star nozzle and piped it onto the cupcakes.
I topped them with mini Bueno pieces and chocolate strand sprinkles.
These Nutella Bueno Cupcakes are my idea of Nutella heaven! The sponge is lovely and light, and it’s the perfect vehicle to deliver the yummy Nutella buttercream. My only dilemma is do I eat the Bueno piece first, or save it till last?!
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
|Cupcake tin||Electric hand mixer||Piping bags|
|Nutella spread||Kinder Bueno||Jem 1E Piping nozzle|
|Brown cupcake cases||Wilton 1M Piping nozzle|
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting The Baking Explorer!
More Nutella recipes…
Nutella Bueno Cupcakes
For the sponge
- 175 g Butter
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs large
- 150 g Self raising flour
- 25 g Cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
For the buttercream
- 150 g Butter
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 200 g Nutella
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the decoration
- 12 Kinder Bueno Mini Pieces
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases
- To make the cupcake sponges, start by creaming together the butter and caster sugar
- Add the eggs and whisk them in one at a time, then whisk in the cocoa powder, baking powder and self raising flour
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- To make the Nutella buttercream mix together the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then mix in the Nutella and the milk. Put it into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe it onto the cupcakes, or spread on with a spoon
- Top them with mini Bueno pieces and chocolate strand sprinkles
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place, eat leftovers within 3 days
NB. This post is NOT sponsored by Nutella – I just love their product!
If you like this, check out more of my Cupcake recipes!
Pin for later!